Saturday, July 28, 2012

Quilts at Sisters, Oregon

My husband and I went to Oregon last week to visit family.  After leaving the airport, we visited Multnomah Falls and then looked at the map to see which way to go to our destination.  I noticed that if we went out of our way a little (ok, maybe more than a little), we could go through Sisters - a well know quilting mecca.  Guess which way I chose!

We missed the outdoor quilt show by only a week (always on the 2nd Saturday in July).  This year they had more than 1300 quilts on display outside.  Unfortunately, this was the 1st year in their 37 year history that it rained and they had to quickly take the quilts down in the afternoon.  

They still had some quilts displayed inside local businesses and in a quilt store and fiber arts stores for the month of July.  Some had closed for the day, but I was lucky to go in a few.  I especially loved the Stitchin' Post owned by Jean Wells  (founder of the Sisters Quilt Show, quilt artist and author of many books).  Here are some pictures of my favorite quilts.


Two quilts designed by Sue Spargo.  Sorry I don't have better pictures, but they were hung high on the wall.  They are bright, beautiful applique quilts made of cotton and wool.


Here is a close up of one corner.  I love the cotton prints with the wool.  The colors are actually brighter than this picture shows.


Below are a few fun pieced cotton quilts.


Interesting design using the rail fence block.


Love the graphic nature of these 2 simple quilts.


Another Sue Spargo design.


Holiday quilts are so fun.




Some stunning landscape and art quilts - pictures don't do them justice.



A display of some of Jean Wells books and designs.

If you are interested in seeing more of her work, visit: jeanwellsquilts.com
If you want to know more about the quilt activities in Sisters, Oregon, visit:  sistersoutdoorquiltshow.org

Quilting Tip:  I asked Coleen, a friendly employee at the Stitchin' Post what her favorite quilting tip was.  She says she loves to use glue.  "Use glue in paper foundation piecing, when using small pieces and applique.  Don't be afraid of glue."  

I agree.  I've found glue to be very useful.  Just don't put any where you will be stitching and make sure it is a glue that washes out.  Washable glue sticks work, but I especially like the quilter's glue that has a small applicator tip.  Then you can get it right where you want it.  My friend Jill Finley makes "Appli-Glue" that is awesome.  You can check it out at:  jillilystudio.com/shop/AppliGlue.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment