Friday, July 13, 2012

Cabbage Salsa

I love salsa.  I love all kinds of salsa.  I don't remember where I came across this recipe, but I remember thinking cabbage salsa?  What?  I tried it anyway and I'm sure glad I did.  It is delicious!  Even people who don't love cabbage, love this salsa.  It is addicting and guess what?  It is good for you!  Ok, maybe if you don't eat it with tortilla chips or frito chips.  


Look at all these wonderful veggies.  I prefer to use a hand food processor for salsas.  It makes them chunky without turning them into mush - and mushy salsa is not good.  I found my original one years ago at a flea market in Arizona.  I wore that one out and looked for another one.  I found a Tupperware one.  They are pricey as you know, but it was the only one I could find and I have to have one to make salsas!  Tupperware has a straight blade, and I prefer the curved blade on my original one, so I still use my curved blade.  The curved blade seems to cut through more easily.  If you find one - let me know!

You can use an electric food processor.  Just pulse a very, very few, short times.  You don't want salsa soup!

Put the cilantro, vinegar & sugar in the food processor.  Slice the cabbage, cut the onion in chunks & cut the jalapeño in small pieces.  Leave the seeds in & cut the slices thicker if you like it spicy.  This recipe is on the mild side, but make it hotter if you like.



Put the lime juice and all other ingredients except the cabbage in the food processor.



Process until you have small pieces.  (Remember - be careful with an electric food processor!)  Add a little of the cabbage if you need more bulk to get it to chop.



Add all of the cabbage & process until the salsa is in small pieces.  Serve immediately or within a few hours.  It doesn’t keep more than a day.  Once you put it out, it will be gone anyway.  That's it - enjoy!


Cabbage Salsa

¼ head cabbage                                            2 Tbsp cider vinegar                                   
6-8 sprigs cilantro                                         1 Tbsp sugar
½ onion                                                           juice from 1 lime
5-6 slices jalapeño pepper                            salt & pepper to taste

In food processor, add all ingredients except cabbage.  Chop finely.  Cut cabbage into chunks and add to processor.  Pulse till cabbage is in small pieces.   Be careful not to turn into mush.  Serve immediately with tortilla chips or fritos or refrigerate a few hours.  Stir before serving to distribute the lime juice. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon,
    When I saw you had started a food and quilting blog I was giddy! You are the best cook and quilter I know. I can't wait to read your next post, but right now I need to go make salsa!

    ReplyDelete